No CrossRef data available.
Published online by Cambridge University Press: 13 November 2025
The Katakomben-Stichting (Catacombs Foundation) is a private institution established in 1913 by the wealthy Dutch textile entrepreneur Jan F.M. Diepen and his family on the site of a ‘facsimile’ of the most famous sections of the Roman catacombs (today Museum Romeinse Katakomben), constructed between 1909 and 1913 in an abandoned quarry in Valkenburg aan de Geul, the Netherlands. The Foundation owns a collection of early Christian artifacts, watercolours and cartoons aimed at the creation of replicas of the catacomb paintings, as well as an archive, all of which await proper study and dissemination. A careful survey of the archive has added a new and valuable piece to the history of research involving the Crypt of Saint Cecilia in the Catacomb of Saint Callixtus. Diepen, together with the Trappist monk Eugenius van Doorn, coordinated between 1912 and 1916 a pioneering stratigraphic analysis of the decorations of the so-called ‘palimpsest wall’ of the Crypt, after they discovered a previously unknown fragment of an early medieval wall painting containing the bust of a Christ hovering in the sky, from that moment known as Salvatore Olandese. The analysis was supported by meticulous documentation of the decorations, which remains largely unpublished within the Foundation’s archive. The reasons for not publishing this comprehensive study remain uncertain. Examining Diepen’s notebook and correspondence with Rome-based archaeologists and art historians reveals a ‘harsh’ picture of the so-called ‘Roman school’ of Christian Archaeology, marked by rivalries and hostilities and lacking scientific collaboration with foreign scholars. It was precisely within this environment that a certain obstructionism appears to have emerged against the Dutch amateur and his circle’s efforts to study and publish the Salvatore Olandese, contributing to the ‘cancellation’ of this fresco from collective memory to this day.
La Katakomben-Stichting (Fondazione delle Catacombe) è un’istituzione privata fondata nel 1913 dal ricco imprenditore tessile olandese Jan F.M. Diepen e dalla sua famiglia a seguito della creazione tra il 1909 e il 1913 di un ‘facsimile’ delle parti più celebri delle catacombe romane (oggi Museum Romeinse Katakomben) all’interno di una cava abbandonata a Valkenburg aan de Geul, nei Paesi Bassi. La Fondazione possiede una collezione di manufatti di epoca paleocristiana, acquerelli e cartoni preparatori finalizzati alla realizzazione delle repliche delle pitture delle catacombe, oltre che un suo archivio, ancora in attesa di uno studio sistematico e di un’adeguata valorizzazione.
L’attenta ricognizione dell’archivio ha permesso di aggiungere un nuovo e prezioso tassello alla storia degli studi relativi alla cripta di Santa Cecilia nella Catacomba di San Callisto. Tra il 1912 e il 1916, Diepen, insieme al monaco trappista Eugenius van Doorn, coordinò una pionieristica analisi stratigrafica delle decorazioni della cosiddetta ‘parete palinsesto’ della cripta, dopo aver scoperto un frammento fino ad allora sconosciuto di pittura di epoca altomedievale raffigurante un Cristo a mezzobusto che si libra in cielo, da quel momento noto come Salvatore Olandese. L’analisi fu accompagnata da una meticolosa campagna di documentazione delle decorazioni, rimasta sostanzialmente inedita nell’archivio della Fondazione. Le ragioni della mancata pubblicazione di questo studio così approfondito restano incerte. La lettura del taccuino di Diepen e della sua corrispondenza con archeologi e storici dell’arte residenti a Roma restituisce un quadro piuttosto duro della cosiddetta ‘scuola romana’ di archeologia cristiana, segnata da rivalità e ostilità e poco incline alla collaborazione scientifica con gli studiosi stranieri. Proprio in questo contesto sembra essere stato esercitato un certo ‘ostruzionismo’ nei confronti del lavoro di questo amateur olandese e del suo entourage volto allo studio e alla pubblicazione del Salvatore Olandese, che ha contribuito alla ‘cancellazione’ di questa pittura altomedievale dalla memoria collettiva fino ai giorni nostri.